Many Councils require that you submit advancement data via the BSA’s Internet Advancement website (ScoutNET). We now provide export files that you can use to upload to ScoutNET. Please note the following items before continuing:
Setup your BSA Internet Advancement Account
If you haven’t registered to use BSA’s Internet Advancement, make sure you do this first. Once you can login successfully you are ready to continue.
Scout’s name must match in both systems
Make sure each scout’s name is exactly the same on eTrailToEagle.com as it is on the BSA’s Internet Advancement site. The name the BSA uses is the one you use at time of rechartering. Some scout’s may not go by their first name. For this scenario, we have added a new “Nickname” field. When you enter a Nickname for a scout, we will display their nickname on eTrailToEagle.com but when it is time for using ScoutNET, we will use their first name.
Birthdays must match
Make sure each scout’s birthday is entered accurately on eTrailToEagle.com. If the birthday doesn’t match what is on the records with the BSA, the upload will not work.
LDS Troops – Pay attention
When LDS Troops re-charter, they group their scouts into a Troop, a Team and a Crew. You need to update the record for each scout on eTrailToEagle.com to let us know which unit type they belong to. This is easy to change under the scout’s profile. We added a new “Unit Type” field. Once this is set, you can continue to the next step.
In addition, some LDS Troops have separate numbers for Troop, Team and Crew. We will ask for these numbers just before we create your ScoutNET file.
Once you have verified your records based on the information above, you can continue and use our ScoutNET feature.
Step 1 – Download advancement file from eTrailToEagle.com
- Visit our new Court of Honor page
- We have added a new column called ScoutNET. Any award that doesn’t have a check in the ScoutNET column will be considered for inclusion in the download file.
- When you records looks accurate, click on the new Internet Advancement Tab
- Select a Unit Type
- Enter your Troop, Team or Crew number. This number must be 4 digits. If your Troop number is 849, make sure you enter 0849.
- Enter a Start Date. Note: this will bring back all records that don’t have a check in the ScoutNET column starting on the date you select.
- Click “Display Report”
- Review the list of awards that will be included in your download file
- Once the list has been reviewed, click the Download ScoutNET File
- Save this file in a location where you can get to it later. Don’t open the file in Excel and then save it. Just save it to your Downloads folder. If you open and save the file using Excel, it will render the file invalid when you try to upload it to the BSA.
- We recommend that you leave this browser tab open while you complete the next step.
- Open a new tab in your browser and visit the BSA Internet Advancement website
- Click on the Returning User button. NOTE: If you haven’t logged into this site yet, you must contact your local council to get registered.
- Login using your Unit ID and password
- Click “Continue” for the “1. Load Roster” step.
- Click on the “Upload Advancement File” button
- Browse to the file you downloaded from eTrailtoEagle. The file should be named something like this: ADVxxxxx.csv.
- After the file has been uploaded, the processing will begin.
- If you decide to stop the upload file processing, click Cancel Upload and you will go to Stage 2 – Update Member.
- Internet Advancement will match the members in your file with your registered youth members and exact member matches will be processed automatically. If the names don’t match exactly, you will need to update the scout’s information on eTrailToEagle.com and then start this process over.
- Click on Review Advancement Report to see the results of upload file processing.
- You may make other additions or changes as necessary before submitting this report.
- Visit our new Court of Honor page
- Put a check in the ScoutNET column for each award that you sent to ScoutNET.
- Make sure you click on the “Save Changes” button
- It’s time to head to your local Scout Shop and purchase the awards that you need. Our Shopping List Report will let you know exactly what you need to purchase.
- Once you purchase your awards, don’t forget to update the Court of Honor page with those awards that you purchased.